Using dh-cmake with CPack for Debian packaging

Hello,
the last few days I have been trying to set up Debian packaging for a bigger project which should have multiple binary packages. I have been using Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute as my test platform and the latest release 0.6.1 of the dh-cmake project.

To get up to speed and familiar, I have been playing with the examples in the examples folder, mainly the cmake and cpack ones. And to be truthful, it was not a nice journey. I discovered that when you have errors in the build recipes, the Debian workflow does not error out, but just acts weird.

Thus, I am not sure if this is a bug, or I am just doing something wrong, and I would like for somebody to confirm or refute (using the cpack example): When your control file have only one Package, the build will ignore the package_name.cpack-components specification of components and will include everything which was installed into debian/tmp. The moment you add a second Package - even an empty one - everything will start to work as expected and non-specified components will not be copied from debian/tmp to any package.

Thanks.

dh-cmake maintainer here. When I was developing dh-cmake and reading about Debhelper, I’d gotten the impression that if there was only one binary package, Debhelper programs could skip the package_name and look for a file with only the extension. Is that not the case?

If you have a specific use case that’s not working the way you expect, please file a Debian bug (dh-cmake is a proper Debian package) with the repro, and I will take a look.

That’s the thing. I don’t know, my main objective is to just create packages, I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough about Debian’s policies to say one way or another. But by instinct, when I specify a component or group to install to a package, I expect it to install just that one component or group, not everything defined in install().

If you say it is intentional, fine - but on the same page I think that it should be directly documented, maybe as an example or comment.

I was able to get it to create packages during the native build. It took me more time than I would like, but I got there.

I do think that the dh-cmake package should be hinted as a Multi-Arch: foreign, because the mk-build-deps -a<architrecture> has problem installing it when cross-compiling.

Specifically, adding this line. Tested with this package and standard dh-cmake, dh-cmake-compat (= 1), dh-sequence-cpack in debian/control, everything builds fine with dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b -a<architecture>.

Now that I think about it, this may actually be because of Debhelper proper, rather than dh-cmake. If there’s only one binary package, Debhelper installs everything into debian/tmp, which gets included in the single binary package.