No CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER could be found.

I have been getting this error from my cmake-gui window when compiling my C++/Fortran based project.

The Fortran compiler identification is unknown CMake Error at Lib/Fast_Table/CMakeLists.txt:2 (project): No CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER could be found.

I have looked all over the internet for possible solutions to my problem regarding the path and configuration between intel Fortran 2020, VS2017 and CMake 3.18.4.

Here is the CMakeError.log output:

Compiling the Fortran compiler identification source file "CMakeFortranCompilerId.F" failed.
Compiler:  
Build flags: 
Id flags:  

The output was:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Version 15.0.28307.1525.
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Package 'IFLangServicePackage' failed to load.

1>------ Build started: Project: CompilerIdFortran, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.0.166 [Intel(R) 64]...
1>CMakeFortranCompilerId.F
1>Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.0.166 Build 20191121
1>Copyright (C) 1985-2019 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>Linking...
1>Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.16.27045.0
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>/OUT:.\CompilerIdFortran.exe
1>/INCREMENTAL:NO
1>/MANIFEST
1>/MANIFESTFILE:Debug\CompilerIdFortran.exe.intermediate.manifest
1>"/MANIFESTUAC:level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'"
1>/DEBUG
1>/PDB:C:\tree2\CAE\_build\CNApps\CMakeFiles\3.18.4\CompilerIdFortran\CompilerIdFortran.pdb
1>/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE
1>/IMPLIB:C:\tree2\CAE\_build\CNApps\CMakeFiles\3.18.4\CompilerIdFortran\CompilerIdFortran.lib
1>Debug\CMakeFortranCompilerId.obj
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'ifconsol.lib'
1>
1>Build log written to  "file://C:\tree2\CAE\_build\CNApps\CMakeFiles\3.18.4\CompilerIdFortran\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>CompilerIdFortran - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Compiling the Fortran compiler identification source file "CMakeFortranCompilerId.F" failed.
Compiler:  
Build flags: 
Id flags:  

The output was:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Version 15.0.28307.1525.
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

1>------ Build started: Project: CompilerIdFortran, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.0.166 [Intel(R) 64]...
1>CMakeFortranCompilerId.F
1>Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.0.166 Build 20191121
1>Copyright (C) 1985-2019 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>Linking...
1>Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.16.27045.0
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>/OUT:.\CompilerIdFortran.exe
1>/INCREMENTAL:NO
1>/MANIFEST
1>/MANIFESTFILE:Debug\CompilerIdFortran.exe.intermediate.manifest
1>"/MANIFESTUAC:level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'"
1>/DEBUG
1>/PDB:C:\tree2\CAE\_build\CNApps\CMakeFiles\3.18.4\CompilerIdFortran\CompilerIdFortran.pdb
1>/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE
1>/IMPLIB:C:\tree2\CAE\_build\CNApps\CMakeFiles\3.18.4\CompilerIdFortran\CompilerIdFortran.lib
1>Debug\CMakeFortranCompilerId.obj
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'ifconsol.lib'
1>
1>Build log written to  "file://C:\tree2\CAE\_build\CNApps\CMakeFiles\3.18.4\CompilerIdFortran\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>CompilerIdFortran - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Let me know if anything else is needed, thanks!

I use Intel Fortran on Windows with CMake regularly, previously with Parallel Studio and now with oneAPI (Classic and LLVM). I normally use the Start menu shortcut to the “Intel oneAPI command prompt for Visual Studio” – the 2019/2020 compiler you have also has such a command prompt shortcut in the Windows start menu.

1 Like

Turns out that my installations of VS2017 and Intel Fortran were not setting up correctly. I had to go to the Intel Fortran solution under the folder in my build directory under .\CMakeFiles\3.18.4\CompilerIdFortran. Then I opened the project in Visual Studio. Tools >> Options >> Intel Compilers and Tools >> Visual Fortran >> Compilers. Then I went to the x64 tab and instead of having “Latest” selected, I selected “Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.0.166 [Intel(R) 64]” and this had the proper setup for compiling Fortran. There were also some files in the 2020 compilers_and_libraries dir that were not in the 2020.0.166 dir.

I hope that helps someone in the future if they have this specific error.