ngsolve deinstallation confuses cmake on Windows 10

Hi Guys,
there is a weird behavior on Windows 10 after uninstalling some old version of ngsolve (ngsolve-v6.2.2104).
If i want to compile some C++ program, that is not ngsolve related, in the linking stage zlib.lib is not found any more. Until now i did not need to handle zlib.lib in any way. To solve the problem i tried to download zlib from GnuWin32 on sourceforge and set ZLIB_LIBRARY and ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR.

the error message reads

Code:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: Datei “C:\Program Files\ngsolve-v6.2.2104\Lib\zlib.lib”

i am out of ideas, please help ! :slight_smile:

It seems that “some C++ program” is using zlib and happened to find the ngsolve copy? You’ll need to get a different zlib to compile against.

If “some C++ program” uses zlib, then implicitly. It uses a bunch of libraries, Qt or assimp i.e., but not ngsolve. To solve the problem i tried to download zlib from GnuWin32 on sourceforge and set ZLIB_LIBRARY and ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR. But the problem further consists.
It is also confusing that it referes to ngsolve-v6.2.2104 not ngsolve-v6.2.2204. I uninstalled ngsolve-v6.2.2104 and installed ngsolve-v6.2.2204, this is the event the problem occures.

So it is not a problem of “missing” zlib i think, zlib is present at least in ngsolve-v6.2.2204 but also Qt or assimp ship with some copy i know. It is a reference problem …

I also asked in the ngsolve forum but no solution until now, and since it is very cmake specific in my point of view i hoped to get some knowledge about how cmake looks up for libs on windows …

even the global and user specific path variables did not contain any reference to ngsolve-v6.2.2104 …

may be it helpes to uninstall/install cmake ?

It sounds like a cached variable has not been updated. Have you deleted the CMakeCache (after removing ngsolve and installing the gnuwin32 version of zlib) and tried running CMake again?

Yes, i deleted the whole build folder and do configure/generate cmake command