Intel oneApi C++ Compiler with Visual Studio 2022

Hello,

I’m using CMake 3.23.1 with Visual Studio 2022 and the Intel oneApi C++ Compiler 2022. Everything works fine, but I have some trouble with changing some compiler flags for individual projects.

I want to change the optimization from O2 to O3 but I’m not able to get it work. And I also want do enable the optimization output from the Intel compiler.

Overwriting the CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS does not work.

set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE "/MD /O3 /DNDEBUG /O3 /Qopt-report:3 " PARENT_SCOPE)

Adding compile option by add_compile_options("/Qopt-report:3") also does not work.

I also tried to set options specific by target, but it also does not work target_compile_options( ${LIBRARY_NAME_RAW} PUBLIC /O3).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and best regards,
Dirk

The PARENT_SCOPE seems odd to me. Can you reproduce this in a simple example just to make sure nothing else in the project is interfering?

Hi Ben,

thanks for the feedback.

Here is a minimum example that shows the behavior.

project(IntelTest)

set(EXECUTABLE_NAME intelTest)

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.22)

set(CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES "Debug;Release")

set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -std:c++17 -Qopt-report:3 -O3")

add_executable(${EXECUTABLE_NAME}
    main.cpp
)

The C++ standard is set, but the optimization flag is still /O2

It looks like the -O2 flag comes from CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE, so that variable would need to be edited:

string(REPLACE "/O2" "" CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE}")

I found something similar and now I think it is an issue with the Intel C++ compiler and Visual Studio.

Visual Studio support Od, O1, O2 and Ox.
The Intel compiler supports Od, O1, O2, Ox and O3[Intel C++].

With

MESSAGE(STATUS "CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE: ${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE}")
string(REGEX REPLACE "/O[0-4]" "/O3" CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE}")
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE}" CACHE STRING "" FORCE)
MESSAGE(STATUS "CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE: ${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE}")

I can change to all possible values for the optimization that are supported by Visual Studio, but I cannot set the value to O3, also the CXX_FLAGS in the CMake window state that O3 is set. In Visual Studio it is still O2

If I use Ninja to build the project, the flags for optimization are accepted. So I think there must be a connection to Visual Studio. Changing the values in Visual Studio directly work, but not with CMake.

Hmm. I suspect this is just CMake not knowing what fields correlate with Intel compiler flags that well. Please file an issue about this.

Thanks for your hints right now.

The issue is created and can be found here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/issues/24045