Incremental build with generated headers must run twice

I’m in the process of transitioning a legacy project into cmake, and I’ve hit a snag using a custom_command to generate header files.

On a clean build, everything works perfectly, the headers are generated and the code builds fine.

Incremental builds are a different story. If you modify an input file for the code generator, the next build will detect it and generate the headers just fine, but code that depends on the headers will NOT be built. If you run the build again, this time it builds the code that depends on the generated headers. It feels like whatever checks for headerfile dependencies does it too early in the first run.

The relevant CMake code is below, any ideas what I’m doing wrong? I’ve been searching and trying things for a few days with no success.

################################################################################
## Code generation for autoset types.
################################################################################

#Location of the autoset header input files
cmake_path(SET autoset_input_dir "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/Project/Board-FunctionAgnostic")

# Location of XSL build script
cmake_path(SET autoset_generation_script "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/Project/Board-FunctionSpecific/xyzControl/GenerateAutosetHeaderFiles.ps1")
cmake_path(NATIVE_PATH autoset_generation_script native_autoset_generation_script)

add_custom_command(
    COMMAND pwsh -File "${native_autoset_generation_script}"
    DEPENDS
    "${autoset_generation_script}"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/generateTypesHeader.xsl"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/generateMachineTypesHeader.xsl"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/AutoSetTypes.xml"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/MachineTypes.xml"
    OUTPUT
    "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/W/AutoSetTypes.hpp"
    "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/MachineTypes.hpp"
    COMMENT "Generate Autoset header files"
)

## Board Function Agnostic Library

add_library(Board_FunctionAgnostic INTERFACE
    "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/W/AutoSetTypes.hpp"
    "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/MachineTypes.hpp"
)
# Sources are added here, but shouldn't be important
# Executables in this project use this library via "target_link_libraries" calls.

Hello, Jeremy, may you try to use the
add_custom_target(Board_GenerateAutosetFiles COMMAND …) with the
add_dependencies(Board_FunctionAgnostic Board_GenerateAutosetFiles) ?

The second command adds the dependency from custom target to your library target.

Also you may add a custom target which would DEPENDS from your auto-generated files.

Trying that made things worse. Now the build always executes the generation script, but is only rebuilding the executable targets that use the library every other build.

## Code generation for autoset types.

#Location of the autoset header input files
cmake_path(SET autoset_input_dir "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/Project/Board-FunctionAgnostic")

# Location of XSL build script
cmake_path(SET autoset_generation_script "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/Project/Board-FunctionSpecific/xyzControl/GenerateAutosetHeaderFiles.ps1")
cmake_path(NATIVE_PATH autoset_generation_script native_autoset_generation_script)

add_custom_target(GenerateAutoset
    COMMAND pwsh -File "${native_autoset_generation_script}"
    DEPENDS
    "${autoset_generation_script}"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/generateTypesHeader.xsl"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/generateMachineTypesHeader.xsl"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/AutoSetTypes.xml"
    "${autoset_input_dir}/MachineTypes.xml"
#    OUTPUT
#    "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/W/AutoSetTypes.hpp"
#    "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/MachineTypes.hpp"
    COMMENT "Generate Autoset header files"
)

## Board Function Agnostic Library

add_library(Board_FunctionAgnostic INTERFACE)
add_dependencies(Board_FunctionAgnostic GenerateAutoset)
# Sources are added here, but shouldn't be important
# Executables in this project use this library via "target_link_libraries" calls.

oh, well, I don’t saw at first time that you generate the headers into the your SOURCE directory, but it’s recommended to use the BUILD directory for code generated files (e.g., ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/W/AutoSetTypes.hpp or simply W/AutoSetTypes.hpp) and add it into the target_include_directories(), so your source tree would be unaffected by changes from your custom command;

The CMake’s rule of thumb is to place any generated files into a build folder, e.g.:

1. file(GENERATE) manual states that “A relative path (after evaluating generator expressions) is treated with respect to the value of CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR”;
  2. The add_custom_command() manual states that “The path in the build directory is preferred unless the path in the source tree is mentioned as an absolute source file path elsewhere in the current directory.”

Also as of my anecdotal evidence, any changes in source directories causes some subtle bugs with build order. Hope this advice helps, and sorry for didn’t find the “high-level” manual/tutorial/best practice with this statement, may be @craig.scott or @brad.king knows better about this.

Unfortunately I’m stuck placing these files in the source directory. The project I’m working on now is a continuation of a much larger embedded software project that started in IAR. When any of the older IAR builds are run, they generate these same headers in the same location. I chose to place the code generated output at the same location in the source tree to avoid any ambiguity regarding what header files are being used.

The use of the ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIRECTORY} variable was to avoid relative paths, and get past the issues you mentioned above.

The strange thing is when I create small demo projects to model this (custom_command to generate header files, interface library target that provides them, then another executable target that links to the library), everything works just fine, even when generating into the source tree.

This case is expected to work in general and is covered in the test suite (other than using the source tree for the generated header). Try the following simple example:

$ cat ../CMakeLists.txt
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.25)
project(Discourse7449 CXX)

add_custom_command(
  OUTPUT ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/header.hpp
  COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E touch ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/header.hpp
  DEPENDS ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/headerIn.txt
)

add_library(headers INTERFACE)
target_sources(headers PUBLIC FILE_SET HEADERS FILES header.hpp)

add_executable(main main.cpp)
target_link_libraries(main PRIVATE headers)

$ cat ../main.cpp
#include <header.hpp>
int main() { return 0; }

$ touch ../headerIn.txt

$ cmake --version
cmake version 3.25.2

$ cmake .. -GNinja

$ ninja
[3/3] Linking CXX executable main

$ ninja
ninja: no work to do.

$ touch ../headerIn.txt

$ ninja
[3/3] Linking CXX executable main

$ ninja

That demo works just fine. I’ve not attempted a toy demo like this yet with the cross compilation setup though. My only thought now is to try a skeletal embedded project so all the same tools are being used. Then I could at least share all the code, if that would help.

PS C:\Users\spams\Desktop\CMakeTest> cd build
PS C:\Users\spams\Desktop\CMakeTest\build> touch ../headerIn.txt
PS C:\Users\spams\Desktop\CMakeTest\build> cmake --version 
cmake version 3.25.0-rc2

CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).
PS C:\Users\spams\Desktop\CMakeTest\build> cmake .. -GNinja   
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 9.3.0
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/cygwin64/bin/c++.exe - skipped
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/Users/spams/Desktop/CMakeTest/build
PS C:\Users\spams\Desktop\CMakeTest\build> ninja
[3/3] Linking CXX executable main.exe
PS C:\Users\spams\Desktop\CMakeTest\build> touch ../headerIn.txt
[3/3] Linking CXX executable main.exe
PS C:\Users\spams\Desktop\CMakeTest\build>

Alright, I have a minimal demo project up on github:

This double build issue only happens when I’m cross compiling from windows, but does not occur if I’m compiling with mingw64 for the host machine. It does not occur when compiling for the host or cross compiling on linux.

The bug doesn’t trigger with the simple example given by @brad.king at all. Once I stripped down to a rough model of what my project was doing the issue presented itself.

I tried a few versions of gcc arm cross compiler on windows, but all of them yielded the same results.
The compilers were obtained from here: Arm GNU Toolchain Downloads – Arm Developer.

The windows build of arm GCC (12.2 rel1 was the newest version I tested) is the issue here. The dep files it generates have file paths converted to lower case. That throws off ninja and causes the need for a double build. Hacking up a build of ninja to restore the correct path casing made everything work correctly.

Mingw outputs correct paths in dep files, so that was why it worked fine when I wasn’t cross compiling.