How to detect "dot" in PATH

All,

This is a fun one. In trying to help a user of a library I help maintain, he was having all sorts of issues at CMake time. After a day or so of puzzling over --trace --debug-find output, I finally realized the issue was that he had . in his PATH. This library simply builds a few sublibraries with add_subdirectory() in order.

And since find_package() is really good at finding things on a system, it was finding a half-baked .cmake file in a subdirectory under the build dir and not, say, the “real” one that would be installed in the install step.

Now, I never run with dot-in-PATH as I learned long ago that is trouble. And the other devs I consulted on this also don’t have dot-in-PATH so they couldn’t replicate either. So I was wondering, does anyone know a good way to maybe have CMake search $PATH for it? I figure list(FIND) could do it but I’d need to convert $ENV{PATH} to a list somehow?

Thanks,
Matt

Note: I know a “better” solution might be to add NO_SYSTEM_ENVIRONMENT_PATH in to the find_package() calls that are being done, but I keep fearing dot-in-PATH might come back to haunt me.

Note2: I suppose even better is moving to ExternalProject_Add, but that’s future me issue. :slight_smile:

There is cmake_path(CONVERT <input> TO_CMAKE_PATH_LIST <out-var> [NORMALIZE]) that you can use to get a CMake list from the environment variable.