How does CMAKE_VS_WINDOWS_TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION work?

CMAKE_VS_WINDOWS_TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION

I’m running Windows 10 Home 1903 (OS Build 18362.46).
My C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Lib folder contains:

No matter what I do, CMAKE_VS_WINDOWS_TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION, returns 10.0.16299.0.

Surely, it should pick the highest version? What is the expected behaviour for this?
How is it supposed to work? This has been driving me nuts for a long time and only now have I realised I should be posting this here ^^

Thanks in advance for any help!

This variable reports what Windows SDK is being targeted by the current build. Setting this variable has no effect, instead what you need to do is specify an explicit CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION when configuring a project for the first time.

I believe the reason that 10.0.16299.0 is being selected is that you might only have the runtime files for the other SDK’s and not the development headers.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I checked and I have a whole bunch of headers under C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.17763.0 etc.

What are valid settings for CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION?
Something like SET( CMAKE_HOST_SYSTEM_VERSION 10.0.17763.0) ?
(I can’t check right now as I’m away from my dev PC)

This isn’t my area of expertise but I believe it is specified via CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION and some logic internal to CMake.

@brad.king Is this correct?

CMAKE_HOST_SYSTEM_VERSION is always computed automatically from the real host version.

A toolchain file can

set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION 10.0)

The value 10.0 tells CMake to look for the largest available Windows SDK version. Or one can use any four-component version corresponding to a directory like C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.17763.0, e.g.

set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION 10.0.17763.0)

If building for a Windows target and the only thing you want to do is select the SDK version, you don’t need a toolchain file and can just define CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION on the command line, e.g.

cmake ../src -DCMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION=10.0.17763.0
1 Like