hipcc: CXX_FILESYSTEM_CPPFS_NEEDED test fails - how to add std=c++17

I’m trying to build a code that sets CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=hipcc. The system I am on has GCC 11.2.0 and ROCm 5.4.3 (installed to the standard /opt/rocm). CMake version is 3.25.2.

The problem is, cmake check is failing, reporting:

43    -- Exawind information:
     44    -- CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME = Linux
     45    -- CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID = Clang
     46    -- CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_VERSION = 15.0.0
     47    -- CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE = Release
     48    -- Configuring done
  >> 49    CMake Error at app/exawind/CMakeLists.txt:12 (target_link_libraries):
     50      Target "exawind" links to:
     52        std::filesystem
     54      but the target was not found.  Possible reasons include:

CMakeError.log shows:

Performing C++ SOURCE FILE Test CXX_FILESYSTEM_CPPFS_NEEDED failed with the following output:
Change Dir: /tmp/root/spack-stage/spack-stage-exawind-master-ir5j6xzgqsczevsnbqtjmrkme6tkm52k/spack-build-ir5j6xz/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-A1e1Bh

Run Build Command(s):/usr/bin/make -f Makefile cmTC_906e3/fast && /usr/bin/make  -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/root/spack-stage/spack-stage-exawind-master-ir5j6xzgqsczevsnbqtjmrkme6tkm52k/spack-build-ir5j6xz/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-A1e1Bh'
Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/src.cxx.o
/opt/rocm-5.4.3/bin/hipcc -DCXX_FILESYSTEM_CPPFS_NEEDED  -DUSE_STK_SIMD_NONE  -MD -MT CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/src.cxx.o -MF CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/src.cxx.o.d -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/src.cxx.o -c /tmp/root/spack-stage/spack-stage-exawind-master-ir5j6xzgqsczevsnbqtjmrkme6tkm52k/spack-build-ir5j6xz/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-A1e1Bh/src.cxx
/tmp/root/spack-stage/spack-stage-exawind-master-ir5j6xzgqsczevsnbqtjmrkme6tkm52k/spack-build-ir5j6xz/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-A1e1Bh/src.cxx:4:29: error: no member named 'filesystem' in namespace 'std'
            auto cwd = std::filesystem::current_path();
                       ~~~~~^
1 error generated when compiling for gfx90a.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/build.make:79: CMakeFiles/cmTC_906e3.dir/src.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/root/spack-stage/spack-stage-exawind-master-ir5j6xzgqsczevsnbqtjmrkme6tkm52k/spack-build-ir5j6xz/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-A1e1Bh'
make: *** [Makefile:127: cmTC_906e3/fast] Error 2

Source file was:
        #include <filesystem>

int main() {
            auto cwd = std::filesystem::current_path();
            return static_cast<int>(cwd.string().size());
        }

The failing compilation succeeds if I manually add -std=c++17 and try again on the source file.

I’ve tried setting CMAKE_HIP_FLAGS=-std=c++17 as well as HIP_STANDARD=17 and neither got me past this error. Is something funky or is this expected? Any suggestions how I can fix this?

I don’t know if it helps, but AFAIK HIP was added to CMake as a separate language.
So it should be CMAKE_HIP_COMPILER and you need to enable it like project(MyTest LANGUAGES HIP)