"Custom" language setup on Windows

Dear All,

I’m playing with something a bit convoluted… I am setting up a custom language for my project through a set of CMakeDetermine<LANG>Compiler.cmake, CMake<LANG>Information.cmake, etc. modules. A bit unwillingly, but I learned a lot about CMake’s internals along the way… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m running into an issue now that I can just not figure out, but others may know the answer right away. On Windows the <TARGET> keyword/placeholder in the CMAKE_<LANG>_CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY that I defined keeps being expanded to <target name>.dll.<version>. Instead of just <target name>.dll, as it is done for C++ for instance.

This is not a fatal problem at the moment, since my build just ends up creating 3 instances of my DLL right now, with names:

• <target name>.dll.<version>
  • <target name>.dll.<soversion>
  • <target name>.dll

So… using a *nix naming scheme for the shared libraries.

I really don’t want to remove the VERSION and SOVERSION properties from my shared libraries, because

• on Linux they work fine;
  • even on Windows the value of VERSION is still used correctly when setting up the /version:<TARGET_VERSION_MAJOR>.<TARGET_VERSION_MINOR> argument for the linker.

What did I forget about? What else would I need to set up in “my” language’s configuration to let CMake know that shared libraries with this language should be called <target name>.dll on windows?

Cheers,
Attila

P.S. Of course all of this is happening with the “NMake Makefiles” generator. As teaching the VS generator would require C++ changes to CMake as well, which I really want to avoid for this project.