CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH absent from locations considered for Config module

While maintaining the OpenCL repository CMake and CI scripts I came across an issue I can’t untangle.

When building one of the components (OpenCL-ICD-Loader) that relies on another (OpenCL-Headers) I first build the dependency and install it designating some CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.

cmake -G "Visual Studio 16 2019" -A %BIN% -T v140 -D CMAKE_C_FLAGS=%C_FLAGS% -D CMAKE_C_EXTENSIONS=ON -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=%GITHUB_WORKSPACE%/external/OpenCL-Headers/install -S %GITHUB_WORKSPACE%/external/OpenCL-Headers -B %GITHUB_WORKSPACE%/external/OpenCL-Headers/build
# Invoke install
  -- Installing: D:/a/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/external/OpenCL-Headers/install/share/cmake/OpenCLHeaders/OpenCLHeadersTargets.cmake
  -- Installing: D:/a/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/external/OpenCL-Headers/install/share/cmake/OpenCLHeaders/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake
  -- Installing: D:/a/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/external/OpenCL-Headers/install/share/cmake/OpenCLHeaders/OpenCLHeadersConfigVersion.cmake

So far so good. After that I configure my component and provide the location of the header package using the very same location I used for installation and feeding it to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.

I try finding the package like this:

find_package(OpenCLHeaders)
if (TARGET OpenCL::Headers)
  target_link_libraries (OpenCL PUBLIC OpenCL::Headers)
else ()
  # Uninteresting fallback mechanism
endif ()

This all works flawlessly locally.

C:\Kellekek\Kitware\CMake\3.19.0-rc2\bin\cmake.exe --debug-find -G "Visual Studio 16 2019" -A x64 -T v142 -D BUILD_TESTING=ON -D CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=C:/Users/mate/Source/Repos/OpenCL-Headers/.vscode/install -S ../.. -B .

CMake Debug Log at CMakeLists.txt:121 (find_package):
  find_package considered the following paths for OpenCLHeaders.cmake
  CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH variable [CMAKE_FIND_USE_CMAKE_PATH].

C:/Users/mate/Source/Repos/OpenCL-Headers/.vscode/install
  find_package considered the following locations for the Config module:

C:/Users/mate/Source/Repos/OpenCL-Headers/.vscode/install/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake
    C:/Users/mate/Source/Repos/OpenCL-Headers/.vscode/install/openclheaders-config.cmake
    C:/Users/mate/Source/Repos/OpenCL-Headers/.vscode/install/share/cmake/OpenCLHeaders/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake

The file was found at

C:/Users/mate/Source/Repos/OpenCL-Headers/.vscode/install/share/cmake/OpenCLHeaders/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake

However the same when invoked in GitHub Actions on a GitHub hosted Windows runner spews out hordes of paths I never provided, but not the one I gave in CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH:

cmake --debug-find -G "Visual Studio 16 2019" -A %BIN% -T v140 -D BUILD_TESTING=ON -D CMAKE_C_FLAGS=%C_FLAGS% -D CMAKE_C_EXTENSIONS=ON -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=%GITHUB_WORKSPACE%/install -D CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=%GITHUB_WORKSPACE%/external/OpenCL-Headers/install -S %GITHUB_WORKSPACE% -B %GITHUB_WORKSPACE%/build

CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH variable [CMAKE_FIND_USE_CMAKE_PATH].

D:/a/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/external/OpenCL-Headers/install
  find_package considered the following locations for the Config module:

C:/Program Files/MongoDB/Server/4.4/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake
    C:/Program Files/MongoDB/Server/4.4/openclheaders-config.cmake
    C:/aliyun-cli/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake
    C:/aliyun-cli/openclheaders-config.cmake
    C:/ProgramData/kind/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake
    C:/ProgramData/kind/openclheaders-config.cmake
    C:/vcpkg/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake
    C:/vcpkg/openclheaders-config.cmake
    C:/cf-cli/OpenCLHeadersConfig.cmake
    C:/cf-cli/openclheaders-config.cmake

On a slightly related note I don’t know why this works locally in the first place as the docs suggest that <prefix>/(lib/<arch>|lib*|share)/cmake/<name>*/ (U) is only searched on Unix-like OS-es, however the issue here is likely something else. Why is my CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH not being searched in the GitHub Actions case?

CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH is my normal mechanism as well. Some things to look at:

• does CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH contain the path you expect (seems to only have an entry on the D: drive rather than under C:/Users/mate)
    • You can use --trace-expand and grep for CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to see if some code is overwriting the -D value you gave instead of appending/prepending/whatever.
  • vcpkg does some interposition into the find_package logic; is that interfering here at all?
1 Like

Thanks @ben.boeckel for the suggestions. In the GA runner, the exhaustive list doesn’t contain my path, which is easy to spot, because it’s on D:\ whereas all the system paths listed are on C:\. They seem like to be related to PATH , as every entry is a pre-installed tool.

I’m not using Vcpkg at all (that entry may be misleading), I didn’t provide the toolchain file on the command-line so it better not interfere with anything.

Can environment variables alter the behavior of CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH? Can any override it?

There is also an envvar of the same name. I’m not quite sure how they interact together though (probably just which is preferred for search order).

I’d trace the CMake code to see what, if anything, is overriding your CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH cache entry. Note that any local variable setting will shadow the cache.

That is not the case. The docs also say this (emphasis added by me):

Directories above marked with (W ) are intended for installations on Windows where the prefix may point at the top of an application’s installation directory. Those marked with (U ) are intended for installations on UNIX platforms where the prefix is shared by multiple packages. This is merely a convention, so all (W ) and (U ) directories are still searched on all platforms.

1 Like