"CheckIPOSupported" inside subdirectory says that it's not supported

Hi there,

I’m having some problems when I try to check/enable IPO only for my application!

This is the project structure:

project
 CMakeLists.txt <-- works for all modules including the externals
  - external
    CMakeLists.txt
  - src
    CMakeLists.txt <-- doesn't work

If I use this code inside the root CMake file, it works fine, it enables the IPO and I can see the flag being used.

# === IPO ===
if(OPTIONS_ENABLE_IPO)
  log_option_enabled("ipo")

include(CheckIPOSupported)
  check_ipo_supported(RESULT result OUTPUT output)
  if(result)
    set_property(CMAKE_INTERPROCEDURAL_OPTIMIZATION TRUE)
  else()
    log_war("IPO is not supported: ${output}")
  endif()
else()
  log_option_disabled("ipo")
endif()

But when I use the same code inside my src/CMakeLists.txt file, it says that the compiler doesn’t support the IPO feature.

IPO is not supported: CMake doesn’t support IPO for current C compiler

Also tried to use:
set_property(TARGET foo PROPERTY INTERPROCEDURAL_OPTIMIZATION TRUE)

I didn’t understood why I need to keep it on my root file as I am using some external modules, if I keep it there, it will be used on all externals modules.

Thanks

I do not know what is going on here.

However, I lately realized that check_ipo_supported requires the project command to have been called in order to probably know some required variables.

Maybe it is not enough to have the top-most project command being called but instead the one of the currently processed CMakeLists.txtfile needs to have been called? (As I said, just a wild guess.)

Tested here, added the project definition inside the src/CMakeFolder, but it didn’t worked, it complains that the compiler doesn’t support IPO, I think that is something related with the dependencies that if not compiled or linked with the IPO flag, blocks my application also to use it.

For now I am using on the root cmake file, what makes all external components use IPO enabled and throw a lot of warning, but at least it optimizing the code!

As it is an open source project I will leave the link here: https://github.com/CanaryProject/canary-server

As I am working on this the update code is on my fork at: https://github.com/Costallat/canary-server/pull/5

Thanks