Ccmake ver is different than cmake

I just upgraded from 3.10 on ubuntu 18.04 to 3.20. Is there a matching version of ccmake or a gui?
Am I supposed to use the ccmake ver 3.10 with cmake 3.20?

Thanks

Hmm. Seems that the ccmake package didn’t get updated? What versions of cmake, cmake-curses-gui and cmake-qt-gui do you have installed?

I had cmake ccmake 3.10, updated from souce to cmake 3.20, did not have cmake-qt-gui
Ran the bootstrap script, then make -j7, then sudo make install, the cmake 3.20 is working. Ccmake shows 3.10 when running.
Tried uninstalling all, re installing with same procedure, cmake works, now no ccmake.
Is ccmake something that comes with cmake?

It does come with CMake, but only if enabled. You may not have either turned it on or were missing the required libcurses-dev package which provides the headers that it needs.

kirk@Isaac:~$ sudo apt-get install libcurses-dev
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package libcurses-dev

Any ideas?

I see lots of libncurse stuff, will that work?

libncurses-gst/bionic,bionic 3.2.5-1.1 all
Ncurses bindings for GNU Smalltalk

libncurses5/bionic-updates,now 6.1-1ubuntu1.18.04 amd64 [installed,automatic]
shared libraries for terminal handling

libncurses5-dbg/bionic-updates 6.1-1ubuntu1.18.04 amd64
debugging/profiling libraries for ncurses

libncurses5-dev/bionic-updates 6.1-1ubuntu1.18.04 amd64
developer’s libraries for ncurses

libncursesada-doc/bionic,bionic 6.0.20170708-2 all
Ada binding to the ncurses text interface library: documentation

libncursesada5/bionic 6.0.20170708-2 amd64
Ada binding to the ncurses text interface library: shared library

libncursesada5-dev/bionic 6.0.20170708-2 amd64
Ada binding to the ncurses text interface library: development

libncursesw5/bionic-updates,now 6.1-1ubuntu1.18.04 amd64 [installed,automatic]
shared libraries for terminal handling (wide character support)

libncursesw5-dbg/bionic-updates 6.1-1ubuntu1.18.04 amd64
debugging/profiling libraries for ncursesw

libncursesw5-dev/bionic-updates 6.1-1ubuntu1.18.04 amd64
developer’s libraries for ncursesw

The libncurses5-dev install and rebuild install did it thank you. Would be nice if the instructions text file mentioned that.

I’ve opened an issue. Note that for Debian and Ubuntu, we do provide up-to-date packages at https://apt.kitware.com/

Ok thanks

How exactly to enable ccmake build? I believe that on ubuntu ccmake would automatically be built if libncurses5-dev was already installed. That seems no longer the case with cmake-3.27.1 on ubuntu 20.04.

There is also -DBUILD_CursesDialog=ON that is needed. I think it defaults based on finding curses, but that is only really done on the first configure, so installing it later won’t help.

I tried

make DBUILD_CursesDialog=ON

But that didn’t build bin/ccmake. What am I missing?

Pass it to cmake when configuring the build, not the build tool.

README.rst says run ‘./bootstrap’ then ‘make’. I try the following but get usage error:

./bootstrap -DBUILD_CursesDialog=ON
Unknown option: -DBUILD_CursesDialog=ON

Oh, you’re bootstrapping? You probably want a -- before that. But that does does a clean build…autodetection should work. ./cmake -DBUILD_CursesDialog=ON . after bootstrapping should also work.

‘./bootstrap – -DBUILD_CursesDialog=ON’ then ‘make’ works - thanks @ben.boeckel .
Is this procedure documented somewhere in the cmake source download? I need ccmake for some third-party packages, took quite a while to figure out how to get it.

I’m not sure. Usually one uses a CMake packaged with their OS/distro of choice and only needs to compile it if they need to test bleeding edge development.

1 Like